Thursday 6 March 2008

Raffles Place Kindness

Being the wonderfully Romantic person that I am, I was, as usual, caught in the rain without an umbrella on my way to work. So I was ready to admit to the elements, and stood tall in the rain, feeling rather sad and stupid.

Without notice, a red umbrella popped over my head, and the young man holding it made an introductory sound that sounded like "Sorry".

I thanked him, out of surprise or gratitude I still don't really know. We stood in silence, with me occassionally stealing glances at him. We walked about 100 m to the underpass, during which he meticulously tried to keep me under the umbrella (at his expense I suspect).

I was determined not to let this nugget of humanity slip away, so as we parted, I asked for his name - Roystan. And then I walked away, not knowing what else to do.

(I am sitting in the office in a red, cotton dress with no sleeves and a short, crumpled skirt. I am me, without the armour of black-and-white. I was me as I put in on this morning, singing. I was me as I made my way here, smiling at the buildings and the sunrise. But I do not know if I can be me, when I sit next to my mentors in the board room with the clients, in my red, cotton, crumpled dress.)

No comments: