Tuesday 11 March 2008

On Love and Weekends.

If you are not too long, I will wait all my life for you. - Oscar Wilde.


The last weekend came and disappeared in a whirl and felt much shorter than their collective 72 hours. But I think they've provided more memories than a whole week in the office has.

We watched The Leap Year, which, in my opinion, marks the arrival of our local film industry. It was a simple case of storytelling, which is the most complex thing any film can do, set in a country no one can deny, after watching it, is beautiful. It never once did have to bring up the fact that it was local, which made it all the more closer to the heart. I was all prepared to put my reviewing skills to test and write a couple of movie reviews, but Yunsong spoilt it all (not in a bad way, I think) - thanks to him, The Leap Year will always mean more than just a movie to me. He said Li-Ann was exactly like me, and I had the strange feeling that he was (had been) watching me. It wasn't just the personality, it was the look in our eyes when we were thinking, the way we pulled back our hair. I didn't even know I had the habit of pulling back my hair. I know that in that situation, I would've done everything Li-Ann did - we even like the same things, but I am not sure I could hold a candle to that beautiful character on screen. I am real, with a real life, which has real consequences. I think that frightened me a little - his observing me frightened me a little. To find out how someone views you is always surreal. I think I was flattered, but I'm not sure if he's right.

Maybe one day, I will take the leap. Maybe, one day.

We watched Juno on Saturday, after tau hway at the Selegie shop that felt like life. I think I loved the way the weekend passed. The two stories, I think, remedied my aversion to love stories just a little. I found out that I no longer felt the urge to turn off the screen, or walk away. Maybe this means my broken heart is healing. Maybe.

One day, when the right person comes along, I will finally fall completely and truly in love, and my heart will be ready for it. I know it.

No comments: