Monday 3 March 2008

I met lawyers!

Reflections on the working world (argumentative)

First day at Drew&Napier - rewarding. Mingyee, Genie, Steven, Sakshi and myself make five interns, each of us probably thankful in some small way not to be the only intern.

There are files and boxes and envelopes stacked on every conceivable surface. People marched through the fortress of information, armed with weapons of logic and intellectual muscles. I was Senhor Jose (All the Names, Jose Saramego), walking through rows and rows of words, each connected to a history, a story. The library was a beautiful shade of green and mahogany, with windows that let in a strange brown light. It was the smell of leatherbound books and paper, and I loved it even as I didn't understand how to use the periodicals, journals and nameless books.

The workspaces did surprise though, my computer is actually a cube - I haven't seen a computer without a flat LCD/Plasma monitor in eons, I think. The mouse has no scrolly thing either, which annoys me. And our desks are falling apart under the weight of dust. It was very exciting, really. And we didn't help the crawling internet by sending tons of emails to each other over the slightest discovery.

No Danny Crane/ Alan shore moments, as we were duly warned, not even Ally Mcbeal or even Elle Woods moments. I spent most of my day reading old law textbooks and doing a bit of research for my mentor. But I enjoyed it all the same. Check back again in 10 years, maybe I'll have a different opinion on critical thinking and investigative research.

But that's unlikely, I think.

No comments: