Thursday 2 August 2007

Opening of the Singapore Art Show Exhibition

Time: Barely two hours after the opening of the Singapore Art Show Exhibition 2007

It was social, above all else. Although I know I shouldn't be, I was a little surprised that no manifesto was proclaimed or raison d'etre announced to lend the event the gravity I expected of it. So it was in the flightiness of wine-glasses and the glibness of dancing waiters that I was initiated into the sparkling world of Art.

My mentor, Susie - a very real woman with a soft and gentle voice - kindly introduced us to so many people I can't say I remember them all. Less than half, I expect, will remember this one "young writer" anyway. Met officials, curators, professors, critics, artists. I can't say I wasn't impressed at how they all took me seriously despite my lack of rank, education, years and experience.


Men with an excess of estrogen, women who laughed freely - but they all seemed to have the knack for making you feel at home. Come to think of it, some of the younger male artists I met today were oddly giggly and nervous.

I love meeting artists - so as to put a face and voice and personality to the framed figments.

Met Jason Lim today, who looked awfully good with his long hair tied back and sincere almond eyes. Press releases do him no justice. Talked longest to him. He seemed genuinely pleased when I told him I liked his work. Wonder if he remembers me.

No comments: