Monday 7 May 2007

There is only One World.

There was a time when I remembered the exact number of countries in the world, the number of continents, number of flags. But I don't anymore, because I'll never be able to ask "How many countries are there in your world?"
When I was thinking about history one day, turning over like a precious gem the big facts of humanity, I found myself thinking, "My world has seen two world wars. Is that too many? How do we measure up to-" I knew, before I even finished my thought-sentence that it was ludicrous. A year later, as I sat in the sitting room of a nice Ipswich home, a little eight year old girl with blonde hair, blue-grey eyes who said "chit-tens" instead of "chickens" snuggled in my Asian lap and asked sleepily, "Charmaine, what's it like in your world? Is your world nice?" I cried.

1 comment:

Charmaine said...

Unless you consider the fact that everyone has their own little world...with only one flag, no country, no continent...only many, many planets around them, some of them lightyears away.

;) Charm Eng