Tuesday 29 May 2007

Alaska King Crab















A few days ago, the usual dinner turned out to be a spontaneous splurging on an Alaska King Crab dinner! My dinner, shown above. I don't know how people can look at this and think of eating it. I know if I were the first fisherman to catch one, I'd probably scream and dump it back in the sea, or jump in to avoid it. Also, I don't know why it isn't called the Alaskan King Crab, since if it's from Alaska, it must most certainly be Alaskan. But anyway, my dinner! I thought that my first taste of the Alaksa King Crab was worthy of some documentation, since it's also most likely my last.















My dinner had a neighbour! I don't know what it's called, but it's fat, ugly and HUGE! I put my hand in front of the tank to help you gauge it's size. My dinner's neighbour lies about 30 cm behind my hand. Perspective, perspective.


















My dinner's other neighbour. A lobster, I think. Again, I don't know how the first people could have looked at crustacean and thought "mmm-mm, dinner!"
















So, here's my dinner dancing. I almost couldn't eat it. I mean, LOOK AT IT! Even if it were sitting cross-legged nicely with a nice book, I just - well, just look at it! I have a problem with eating animals that still look like animals. (On second thought, maybe it really is supposed to be ALASKAN. The menu may not be grammatically sound.)

















But I forgot all my apprehensions when THIS was served! My dinner, looking hot, and lot more like dinner.
















The crab was steamed, with nothing else except a tinge of ginger and egg white. That was how fresh it was. It was unlike any crab I'd ever eaten, and I eat a lot of them: the meat was sweet and succulent and had a very... clean taste. No bits of flesh pulp stuck in the shell. Oh yes, the shell was so soft we cut through it with a pair of small, blunt scissors.

















Strangely enough (or maybe not strangely enough, since dancers' legs are usually the largest and meatiest parts of them), most of the meat in the crab, was in the leg. Here's a finger (mine) to leg (crab's) ratio.

















Half a crab shell sitting on a dinner plate.



I really do like the Alaska King Crab. Eating it, I mean. It wouldn't make a very pretty pet.

As my parent-funding approaches termination, I realize that I may not be able to afford the kind of lifestyle I'm living now when I actually have to earn my own bread. Sigh. I actually like being kinda wealthy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Sigh. I actually like being kinda wealthy."

...

su said...

well... Oscar Wilde kept a pet lobster during his stint in Oxford. He had it on a leash even. But it annoyed his "mates" so they boiled it. :(