Thursday 17 May 2007

The Germination

Upon what do we base our values?

That's got to be the one age-old question flogged to death by epistemologists, intellectuals, hippies, everybody. But it appears that at times, perhaps flogging the dead horse can bring about resurrection.

Conversations too big for their boots reveal how false some of our moral opinions can be - based upon memory of someone else's revelation, or an impression of Virtues, whose origins we know nothing of. I try very hard to own an autodidactic system of principles, but it has come to my attention lately that I have been flabby in certain aspects. Why, for instance, do I value transparency? Or integrity - which I hold paramount?

So I will begin, as with all beginnings, from nothing. And each day, I will acquire one more moral proposition that I can be proud to allow to guide my life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

good luck reviving the cartesian project. tell me about your discoveries!