Tuesday 29 May 2007

Afterlife

Whenever I get my mind into a knot trying to understand the big question marks in epistemology, I think to myself: someday, when we're done with life, we'll look back and realize how juvenile and limited our theories are, and how remarkable, remarkable the truth.

Then I realize - why on earth do I think that the afterlife comprises an over-arching view from Nowhere, that it sits in the throne of infinitesimal knowledge? (Why do we refer to the after-death as afterlife? Hah! Death, our blindspot.)

I have no idea. But it's a comforting thought. I am not sure if there's such a word as "infinitesimal" - I picked it off a Elizabeth McCraken's two-lined attempt at rhyming with Dewey Decimal. Maybe when I'm dead and gone, I'll find out if there really is one.

No comments: