Monday 23 July 2007

Last Weekend, I Assumed I was the Happiest Girl on Earth

And with good reason too, because on Saturday, I became the proud owner of the whole set of Harry Potter, and spent Sunday watching Asian Boys, Vol.3: Happy Endings (vertically) wedged between Ian McKellen and Pam Oei, which I found to be a very desirable position upon realizing how green it made Colin, who paid nearly twice the amount I did to watch Saturday's matinee audience. :P)

If you've never tried telling your friends at the entrance of the theatre that Sir Ian McKellen will be sitting just in front (because you made it a point to buy all available seats-with-a-view), you should try it. The look of slow apprehension, like heavenly light dawning upon their faces, I only wish I could have caught and played back over and over and over again. Heh.

Took a photo of the pen - my pen - that Sir Ian McKellen used to give Yunsong an autograph. I will treasure this papermate ballpoint forever and ever and ever, or until I manage to sell it for $10.

It was really fun fan-girling (and boying, in our group's case), daring each other to produce our belly buttons for the inevitable autograph session. But to evoke the words of the world's favourite author, as we sat behind those white, white curls, he seemed 'nothing more than an old man'. A talented, amazing old man, perhaps, but yesterday, just an old man. Like the many, many other men sitting in the theatre.

Arguably, I became a lot less happy by Sunday night, because I'd finished reading Harry Potter. (SPOILER WARNING) I firmly maintain that it would have been SO much better an ending if Harry -really- died at The Sacrifice. Imagine:

" He saw the mouth move and a flash of green light, and everything was gone. Everything was gone. "

The End.

Optionally, the following battle between Voldemort and the rest of the world could still happen, extricated from Harry's point of view. They realize that Voldemort's spells are no longer binding, Neville owns Voldemort, and they find out later that Harry pulled a Lily, and Harry becomes thus known as The Boy who Died.

Seriously.

2 comments:

su said...

you have no idea how jealous I am.




alternatively, in some weird-ass jekyll and hyde twist, Harry could realise that HE was VOLDRMORT. (shudder)

charm said...

which he techinically WAS, anyhow. hahahah