Wednesday 13 June 2007

Victory Wiggle

I think I have earned myself a victory wiggle today.

You see, I have this neighbour who lives three storeys above me. He was the tall, basketball guy of the Blue House - my House. He was quiet, I was loud. We took the same school bus, but never so much as looked at each other. Except one time, which I still chronicle as Most Embarrassing Moment No.134. Mr Tall, Silent Basketballer came down with dengue fever, and creative, generous and stupendously stupid 11 year old me decided, upon learning that Dengue fever could be fatal, decided to put my creativity to good use and made him a Get Well Soon card. Bad news doesn't at all spread too fast, I can assure you, because by the time I got my card ready, Mr Tall, Silent, Dengue Fever Patient was already recovered and waiting for the school bus. I don't know WHAT possessed me - actually I do, I think it was the ego that refused to have made a card for nothing - I gave a Get Well Soon Card, to the perfectly healthy neighbour. Of course, he stared. And stared. And I ran away.

But yes, conversation never came easily. Or rather, never came.

He went to SJI, I to NYGH, with an amazing coincidence of bus routes. When we met every so occassionally, we waved and exchanged perfunctory greetings. Then he would sprint in the opposite direction, while I looked for a convenient hole to disappear into.


Then in yet another amazing coincidence (Why can't Fate be this accurate with Johnny Depp and me??), we both got Direct School Admission to this college. And got into the same faculty. So Mr Tall, Silent Basketballer became Mr Tall, Silent Canoeist, but nothing beyond the last descriptive changed. I guess things warmed up, we began talking a little bit more. Conversations averaged about 20 words - a huge difference from the previous three. ("Hi." "Oh, Hi." or "Hi, okay bye!")

But today, AHAHAHA today, we met at the bus stop, talked through a gruelling 10 minute wait for the bus, then whizzed through a 25 minute bus ride! My social skills amaze me. Actually, his social skills amaze me.

So anyway, I was really glad and ran home to tell Mom and Dad.

"Is that supposed to be a success? I mean, for all you know, it could be that he couldn't stand you previously."

I expostulated, of course. But now that I'm sitting here thinking about it, maybe they were right. After all, if someone doesn't talk to you for ten whole years, it must mean something, musn't it? Hmmm.

But anyhoo, that won't stop me from wiggling victoriously. If anything, that means he dislikes me a less now right? (:

1 comment:

su said...

haha definitely a cause for a victory wiggle. ;)